Zoo and the travelling ants

The ants, one follows another, hundreds or thousands of them heading somewhere, forming an uneven dotted line on the wall; like a convoy traveling in Sahara desert. I see them crawling about, carrying breadcrumbs, tiny food bits, and insects’ remnant, each of the six-legged step they make, edge a millimeter nearer to their home, from one side of the cracked white wall to another. Some ants are lost, but manage to find their way back to the line.

I have been watching them for a whole afternoon; my legs feel sore for squatting too long. An ant is lost from the convoy, it is too far from the line – from my satellite view. Out to search for its freedom but it also might end up dying alone.

“Pap said there is no zoo in our place” a voice comes from behind, a disappointed sort of tone it sounds. I turn my head back and look up, still squatting. I squints my eyes and I can only see an over-exposed shadow under the glaring sun. The girl who is three years older than me, standing there with legs slightly apart, both hands on waist, her shoulder length hair swayed a bit as the gentle wind brushes through.

I turn back and look at the ants again. The lost ant never gets back to the line. What is so fascinating about the zoo after all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My oversized shoes

Simply beautiful voice

The ugly face