My oversized shoes

“Sometimes I look back the work I have done, I will wonder why I have to do this? What was it in my mind that I had to use this method? What was I thinking at that particular time?” I said. “Then I would try to use some other approach if it works in the same case, but turn out my original idea was the best suit, so I guess what I thought that particular time must have covered this thought that I’m having now, it caters. I feel amazing sometimes.”

“Then will you forget me someday, if that symptom hits you again?” She asked earnestly and out of curiosity. I gave it a deep thought, tried to apply it to some analogy and see if it works.

“I don’t think so; it won’t be the same for human being. So far, it happens to things when I’m in work or maybe I should say I only realize it occurring when I’m working. ” I explained. “Memory of a person is not discreet, it’s like a continuously stream over time, like a flowing river, from a canal to a wider river. Shape of the fluid takes on form of river’s depth and width. Water doesn’t disappear in this case, but it changes as it flows.” I related.

She nodded. I’m not sure whether she understood, I have tried my best to explain and I thought she was kind enough to affirm me of my idea. Then she continued.

“I used to have this disorder during my college years. I think that was during my final year, when I was rushing for my final year project. I didn’t know what it was called until my friend told me recent year: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder they call it, medical term in plain English. It’s like you have to do thing for several times just to make sure, even you know you have done it well enough, but you still want to do it anyway. It was mild anyway.” She said.

“Sometimes I switch off the fan; I still go back check whether it has been switched off.”

“That’s because you were not sure that you have switched off” She replied. “For my case, I knew the fan has been switch off, but I still have to go and check.”

“Hmm, I’m not sure was it because of I was not sure that time. I think I’m mild also.” I said.

“It should be mild, it should be better than mine. I have get rid of the disorder after I have finished my college years”

“Not once after that?”

“Nope” a non-committal reply from her.

“I can blend the second disorder into the first symptom if I want to.” I said, with a smile of self-satisfaction.

“How is that possible?” She asked, with a bit raise in tone. The table we sat at was not big; she was no more than an arm length away. She was looking into my eyes, and I looked at hers as well.

“I didn’t really want to check whether the switch has been off or windows have been closed. Then I would try to fit my feet into the shoes I wore at that particular time – the time I supposed to switch off the fan and close the window, I will get my answer. I think I would have done what it should be done that was the best or at least for the case of switching off fan and closing the windows.”

And memory of a person is not discreet, it’s like a continuously stream over time, like a flowing river, from a canal to a wider river. Shape of the fluid takes on form of river’s depth and width. Water doesn’t disappear in this case, but it changes as it flows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simply beautiful voice

The ugly face